Being a weblog devoted to a variety of topics. Including Mathematics. And Mathematical Finance. Sometimes with homework.

Friday, May 2, 2008

Another Difference Engine

My last post about a real functioning Difference Engine reminded me of William Gibson's The Difference Engine, with which I was much less impressed.

A long time ago, when I had just finished reading Neuromancer, I thought The Difference Engine looked pretty cool. I'm not exactly sure what it was about, but it wasn't about Babbage's Difference Engine. As I recall, Charles Babbage is one of the characters, but he is unsympathetic to say the least. Do yourself a favor; read Neuromancer, but give this one the go by.

As an aside, this follows one of my cardinal Rules for Reading Fiction: Books by two authors are terrible.

No comments: